Bible Passages about
These are the teachings we can be reasonably certain came from Yeshua's lips:
- Love God and Love Others
- Love All People, Not Just Those Who Agree with You
- Make Peace among People
- Forgive without Reservation
- Do Not Judge Others
- Be a Servant to All Others
- Model Yeshua's Teachings So People Are Drawn to Spirituality
- Listen to the Holy Spirit Speaking Directly to You
The Bible passages that state these teachings follow.
Love God and Love Others--Those Are Paramount
- Respect your father and your mother. Love your neighbor as you love yourself.
- One of the scribes heard them talking. He saw that Jesus gave them a good answer. Then he came and asked, "Which law is the greatest law of all?"
- Jesus answered, "The greatest one is, "Hear, O Israel. The Lord our God is one Lord.
- Love the Lord your God with all your heart. Love him with all your soul. Love him with all your mind. And love him with all your strength."
- The second law is this: 'Love your neighbor as you love yourself.' No law is greater than these laws."
- I give you a new law. That law is, "Love each other." As I have loved you, so you also love each other.
- This is how all people will know that you are my disciples.
- I am telling you to love each other as I have loved you.
- The strongest love anyone can have is this. He will die to save his friends.
- Here is the law I gave you. Love each other.
Gospel of Thomas, Verse 25
- Jesus said, "Love your friends like your own soul, protect them like the pupil of your eye."
Love All People, Not Just Those of Your Creed
- Love your enemies. Do good things. Lend to people and do not look to get anything back. You will be paid well. You will be sons of the Highest One. He is kind to those who do not thank him and to those who are bad.
- So be kind like your Father.
- `You have heard that the law says, "Love your neighbor and hate your enemy."
- But I tell you, love your enemies. Ask God to do good to those who trouble you.
- If you love only those who love you, what reward will you get? Even the tax collectors do that.
- Do you speak to your brothers only? If so, you are not doing any better than other people. Even people who do not believe in God do that.
The Samaritans were not Judeans. They were an extreme example of a group detested by those to whom Yeshua spoke.
- But the man wanted to prove that he was all right. So he said to Jesus, "Who is my neighbor?"
- Jesus answered, `A man was going from Jerusalem to Jericho. Bad men caught him on the road. They took his clothes and beat him. Then they went away and left him half dead.
- A priest happened to be going down that road. He saw the man but he passed by on the other side of the road.
- `A man who worked in the temple came along to that place also. He saw the man but he passed by on the other side.
- `A man from the country of Samaria was going on that road also, and came to the place. He saw the man and wanted to share in his troubles.
- He went to him and tied up the sores he had from the beating. He washed them with oil and wine. Then he lifted the man up and set him on his own animal to ride. He took him to the house for strangers. And he cared for him.
- `The next day he gave two pieces of money to the man who was in charge of the house for strangers. He said, "Take care of this man. If it costs you more than this, I will pay you when I come back."
- Jesus said to the teacher of the law, "What do you think? Which of these three was a neighbor to the man who was caught by the bad men?"
- He said, "The man who was kind to him." Jesus said, "Go and do as he did."
Peter speaks about what he has learned from Yeshua:
- Then Peter began to speak, `I really understand now. God does not love some people more than others.
- But he takes anyone who obeys him. He takes anyone who does what is right. It does not matter to what nation they belong.
Make Peace among Men
- God makes happy those who make peace between people. They will be called God's sons.
- Our God is kind. A light from heaven will shine.
- That light will shine on those who are in darkness, and are going to die. That light will show us how to walk in peace.
- Salt is good. But if the salt has lost its taste, how can it be made salty again? You must have salt in yourselves and live in peace with one another.
Forgive without Reservation
- If you forgive others for the wrong things they have done, then your Father in heaven will forgive you.
- But if you do not forgive others, your Father will not forgive you for the wrong things you have done.
- Then Peter came to Jesus and asked him, "Lord, how many times should I forgive my brother when he does wrong things to me? Should I forgive him seven times?"
- Jesus answered him, "I say not seven times only, but seventy times seven."
- His master was very angry. He turned the servant over to the prison guards until he could pay all he owed him.
- That is like what my Father in heaven will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart.
- Take care! If your brother does something bad, tell him what he has done. If he is sorry, then forgive him.
- Maybe he will do wrong to you seven times in one day. But if he comes to you seven times in one day and says, "I am sorry for what I did," then you must forgive him.
Do Not Judge Others
- Do not judge others, then you will not be judged.
- The way you judge others, that is the way you will be judged. How much you give to others is how much will be given to you.
- `Why do you look at the spot of dust in your brother's eye? But you do not see a big stick in your own eye!
- `Do not judge others and you will not be judged. Do not punish others, and you will not be punished. Let others go free and God will let you go free.
- The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman to Jesus. They had caught her having sex with a man who was not her husband. They made the woman stand in front of them.
- They said, "Teacher, this woman has committed adultery. She was caught doing it.
- The law of Moses tells us that the people who do that should be killed with stones. What do you say?"
- They said this to see what Jesus would do, because they wanted to find something wrong with him. Jesus bent down and wrote on the ground with his finger.
- They kept on asking him. He stood up and said to them, "The one among you who has never done any wrong thing may throw the first stone at her."
- And Jesus bent down again and wrote on the ground.
- When the people heard what he said, they went out, one by one. The oldest one went out first. Jesus was left alone with the woman in front of him.
- Jesus looked up and said to her, "Woman, where are the people? Has no one judged you?"
- She said, "No one, Sir." Jesus said, "I also do not judge you. Go, and do no wrong thing again."
Be a Servant to All Others
- Jesus stood up where he had been eating. He took off his outer clothing. And he took a towel and tied it around him.
- Then he poured water into a pan and began to wash the disciples' feet. He wiped their feet with the towel he had tied around him.
- He came to Simon Peter. Peter said to him, "Lord, are you going to wash my feet?"
- Jesus answered him, "You do not understand now what I am doing, but you will understand it later."
- Peter said to him, "You will never wash my feet!" Jesus answered him, "If I do not wash you, then you do not belong to me."
- Simon Peter said to him, "Lord, wash my feet, and my hands, and my head also!"
- Jesus said, "A person who has bathed himself needs to wash his feet only. He is all clean. You are clean, but not all of you."
- Jesus knew who was going to give him over to people who hated him. That is why he said, "You are not all clean."
- After Jesus had finished washing their feet, he took his gown and sat down again. "Do you understand what I have done to you?" he asked.
- "You call me Master and Lord. What you say is right. I am your Master and Lord.
- I am your Lord and Master and have washed your feet. If I do that, then you should wash one another's feet.
- I have shown you what to do. Now you do as I have done.
- I tell you the truth. The servant is not better than his master. The one who is sent is not better than the one who sent him."
Luke 6: 29-30
- To him who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also; and from him who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt.
- Give to every one who begs from you; and of him who takes away your goods do not ask them again.
Model Yeshua's Teachings So People Are Drawn to Spirituality
- "You are like salt in the world. If salt has lost its taste, how can it be made salty again? Salt that has no taste is good for nothing. The only thing to do is to throw it out on the road.
- "You are like light in the world. A city built on a hill cannot be hidden.
- "So also with a lamp. People do not light a lamp and put it under a basket. But they put it on the place for a lamp. Then all the people in the house can see its light.
- "So, let your light shine to all people. Then they will see the good things you do. And they will praise your Father in heaven."
Listen to the Holy Spirit Speaking Directly to You
- "When men take you to court, do not be troubled about what you will say. Say whatever comes to your mind at that time. It is not you who speak, but it is the Holy Spirit."
- "And I tell you, ask and you will get what you ask for. Look and you will find what you look for. Knock and the door will be opened for you.
- "Everyone who asks will get. The one who looks will find. And the one who knocks will have the door opened for him.
- "Which of you fathers will give your son a snake if he asks for a fish?
- "Will you give him a scorpion [an insect with a sting] if he asks for an egg?
- "You are wrong and yet you know how to give good things to your children. Much more, the Father in heaven will give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him."
- "I have told you these things while I am still with you.
- "But the Holy Spirit is the one who will help you. My Father will send him in my name. He will teach you everything that I have said to you. His Helper will remind you of all that I said.
- "Peace is what I leave for you. I give you my own peace. People of the world also say, 'Peace' to you. I do not say it as they say it. Do not let anything trouble your hearts. Do not fear."
- "But when the Holy Spirit comes upon you, you will receive power. You will speak of me in Jerusalem and all around in Judea and Samaria and everywhere in the world."
- "You are like salt in the world. If salt has lost its taste, how can it be made salty again? Salt that has no taste is
Grow in spiritual maturity, within. That is the Kingdom of God.
Gospel of Thomas, Verse 113 (Lambdin translation)
- His disciples said to him, "When will the kingdom come?" [Jesus said,] "It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be a matter of saying 'here it is' or 'there it is.' Rather, the kingdom of the father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
"The kingdom of God does not come visibly, nor will people say 'Here it is,' or 'There it is,' because the kingdom of God is within you."
In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again [born from above]."
Return to the previous page
Copyright © 2006 30ce.com